Photo by Rudy A. Arizala
Mayor: Ubing Ruzol
General Nakar known as Anoling and Batangan, was previously a barrio of Infanta, Quezon.
It was named Gen. Nakar when it became a town in 1949 during the time of President Elpidio Quirino under Executive Order No. 246 dtd 21 July 1949.
It was named in honor of Gen. Guillermo Nakar, a World War II hero, who was born in said former barrio of Infanta, Quezon.
Translated by former Ambassador Rudy Arizala from the book entitled: "Lalawigang Quezon (Kislap ng Silangang Quezon) Mga Kasaysayan at Alamat" by Prof. Godofredo S. Laureles, 1999 edition. The book was first printed in 1994, then in 1996; 1997; and lately in 1999.
General Nakar was once a barrio of Infanta, Quezon, until July 21, 1949, when it received, by Executive Order No. 246, the status of a municipality, during the term of Pres. Elpidio Quirino.
It was named in honor of Gen. Guillermo Nakar, a World War II hero, who was born in Anoling, also previously a barrio of Infanta, Quezon.
Forester Julian A. Avellano, assisted by former Congressman Fortunato Suarez and former governor Gregorio Santayana of the Province of Quezon. Santiago Nakar was the first mayor to serve the new town, aided by four councilman or "Kagawad ng Sangguniang Bayan" &endash;&endash; Adriano Merto, Macario Astrera, Agustin Avellaneda and Eustaquio Sabiduria.
General Nakar consisted of eight barrios now called barangays &endash;&endash; Anoling, Banglos, Batangan, Catablingan, Magsikap, Maligaya, Minahan and Pamplona. Today, the town of General Nakar consists of 82 sitios and 20 barangays. The new barangays added were Canaway, Lumulan, Mahabang Lalim, Maigang, Pagsangahan, Pesa, Sablang, San Marcelino, Umiray, Poblacion, Minahan Sur and Minahan Norte.
The Dumagats were believed to be the first known residents of General Nakar. A cemetery near the property of Andres Miras is believed to be for the dumagats, who have placed markers on the gravesite of their people. The Dumagats left the site for the mountains when Christians started settling in the area.
In addition, Andres Miras also found on his property in Minahan in 1975 and again in 1995, dozens of chinaware, with colorful flower and dragon designs, suggesting that the Chinese must have settled in Minahan during the "Galleon Trade" and the time of noted Chinese pirate Limahong. Among the find in 1995 was someone's jaw suggesting treasures were buried with the dead, which is in keeping with Chinese practice.
World War II
The Japanese soldiers under Capt. Tañeda, reached Infanta in May 1942, and settled in a camp at Batangan elementary school. Masanga in Barangay Canaway, along Polillo Strait, served as the hiding place of the the First Anderson Battalion Guerrilla.Upon the order of the U.S. Commander, all submarines, ships, and war planes positioned at Pacific Ocean would bring food, arms, medicines, clothing and others to support the guerrilla movement headquartered in General Nakar and nearby areas.
Translated from research by: Natividad Banzuela Cadiz
(Mrs. Cadiz will receive a $50 stipend for her document).
Click here to go back to Home Page